Current Public Housing Residents
HACA's Housing and Community Development Department is comprised of dedicated staff that provide HACA residents with the skills and services necessary to become free from public assistance. The department manages more than 30 active partnerships with local organizations to provide on-site services to HACA Public Housing residents.
The following are key services provided by HACA for Public Housing residents:
- The Family Self-Sufficiency Program helps residents to become financially independent.
- Youth Services provide recognition programs and supportive services to encourage children to stay in school.
- Senior/Disabled Persons Services include classes, activities and health and safety programs.
- Workforce Development focuses on area partnerships established to better serve our residents in their self-sufficiency endeavors.
- Scholarships are awarded annually to residents through the HACA Resident Scholarship Program.
- Resident Watch and Safety Programs allow residents to become unified and organized for safer, closer communities.
- Resident Councils establish on-site activities board that plans events at the different sites. The Resident Councils offer a forum for residents to voice their concerns and meet with their neighbors. Members of the Resident Councils make up the Citywide Advisory Board.
- Six Star Resident Program allows public housing residents to rent an apartment in the private rental market at any apartment site purchased by HACA’s subsidiary, Austin Affordable Housing Corporation at a discounted rent.