Housing Choice Voucher Program Landlord Information
- How to List Your Property
- Available Units
- Steps to Participate in the Program
- Landlord/Owner Checklist (PDF)
The Need for Affordable Housing in Austin
Our current waitlist (over 4,000 individuals) reflects a great need for affordable housing in Austin. Currently, the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program serves approximately 5,100 families a month. With the help of the Austin rental community, we will continue to reach our goal of providing safe, decent and affordable housing to Austin families!
Benefits of Participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program:
- You will be providing affordable housing to Austin families
- Guaranteed rent check for approximately 60 to 70 percent of the rent
- You are able to use your own lease
- Free advertising for your available properties
- Free annual inspections of your unit
- Units receive payments at market rate rents
Responsibilities of the housing authority, owner and assisted families:
The HCV Program depends on a cooperative relationship between the housing authority, assisted family and owner or property manager. The program is designed to maintain the regular owner and tenant relationship. Our main purpose is to subsidize families' rents; all other aspects of the lease agreement must be resolved between the landlord and the tenant. The following summarizes the responsibilities of each party.
The Housing Authority's Responsibilities:
- Reviews all applicants to determine families' eligibility for the program.
- Explains the rules of the program to families and property owners/managers.
- Issues vouchers to families.
- Inspects the housing assisted units for compliance with housing quality standards.
- Approves the unit, owner, and lease.
- Makes housing assistance payments to the owner in a timely manner.
- Re-examines the family's income and composition annually and adjust the rent and process changes in rent portions when the income of the family composition changes.
- Ensures owners and families comply with the program rules.
- Provides prompt, professional service to owners and tenant families.
- Thoroughly screens and interviews families who apply.
- Maintains the property by making necessary repairs in a timely manner.
- Collects application fees, security deposits, and the tenant's monthly rent portion.
- Manages the property and enforces the lease.
- Complies with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract and HUD Tenancy addendum.
- Complies with all fair housing laws and not improperly discriminate against any family.
- Notifies the housing authority if a tenant vacates the unit and return the housing assistance payments received after a family vacates a unit.
- Notifies the housing authority of any owner change immediately so payment to the new landlord will not be delayed.
- Provides the housing authority with complete and accurate information pertaining to the family income and composition.
- Reports changes in income and family composition that happens throughout the year.
- Locates a suitable unit and pay the security deposit and application fee to the owner.
- Attends scheduled appointments and return documents on time.
- Maintains the property and minor repairs.
- Complies with the terms of the lease.
- Pays their portion of the rent on time to the owner.
- Complies with all family obligations under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
How to contact our office
Each family is assigned a housing eligibility specialist. See the Housing Choice Voucher Phone Directory to determine which counselor serves the family residing in your unit. If any repeated issues or problems occur with the tenant, contact the appropriate housing eligibility specialist first. If your questions are not resolved, feel free to contact your housing supervisor. If you have specific questions about the program, contact the landlord outreach specialist at ext. 1301.
The Housing Authority of the City of Austin
P.O. Box 6159, Austin, TX 78762
1124 IH-35 South, Austin, TX 78704
Phone: (512) 477-1314
Fax: (512) 494-0686
- Abbreviated Property Owner/Manager Checklist (PDF)
- Housing Quality Standards (HQS)/ Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- HAP Contract (PDF)
- HUD Tenancy Addendum (PDF)
To view .pdf files, you need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.