Report Housing Fraud
The Housing Authority of the City of Austin has a Fraud Investigation Unit dedicated solely to investigating allegations of suspected fraud by Housing Choice Voucher tenants and landlords, and Public Housing tenants. The Compliance Investigation Unit also handles all debt collections.
What is Fraud?
Here are some examples of fraudulent activities that are considered criminal violations:
- Knowingly omitting income or assets of the family household
- Knowingly under-reporting income/assets of the family household
- Transferring income or assets to obtain/retain eligibility under false pretenses
- Using false identification cards or false Social Security Number(s)
- Using false documents such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, grant deeds
- Falsifying the number of household members
- Obtaining duplicate assistance or subletting all or part of the unit
- Withholding additional assistance such as AFDC, Child Support, etc.
- Charging additional rent from assisted tenants
Once convicted, offenders may face prison terms, probation, mandatory restitution, and termination from housing assistance.
To Report Fraud or Criminal Activity
- Call the Housing Authority of the City of Austin’s Fraud Activity Hotline at (512) 477-4488 ext. 2124 or ext. 2127.
- Email the Compliance Dept: email@example.com
When reporting fraud or crime please be as specific as possible regarding the possible fraudulent activities in your voicemail or email message. If you prefer to talk to us, please leave your name, phone number and the best time to contact you. All calls are confidential and you may choose to remain anonymous at all times.