Housing Choice Voucher Program Tenant Information
Available Rental Units for Housing Choice Voucher Participants
Click here to browse units that are available for lease using a Housing Choice Voucher. Your browser will be redirected to another website named Gosection8 dot com. A public posting is also available at the Housing Authority of the City of Austin's Central Office at 1124 IH-35 South in Austin, Texas.
Current Tenant Orientations
All families who decide to move under the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program must attend a move-in orientation. At the orientation they will receive their voucher and move-in paperwork, but they will not be allowed to move until their current lease expires (approximately two months). The orientations will be held at 1124 IH-35 South Austin, TX 78704.
If you plan to attend and advertise your available units, you are encouraged to bring flyers or any other items that would help to promote your property. If you need further information about the orientations, please contact the landlord outreach specialist, Evelyn Holman, at (512) 767-7663 ext. 1352 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program!
FSS Coordinators meet with FSS Program members to explore opportunities and to set goals towards self-sufficiency. The Family Self-Sufficiency Program links members to education, job training programs, and supportive services to better prepare them for today's competitive job market. In turn, they have the tools to earn an income that can support their family without public assistance.
Current Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program residents may sign up for the FSS waitlist by completing an FSS Interest Form available from the front desk receptionist at our central office. Please feel free to contact an HCV FSS Coordinator for questions about the program.
Housing Choice Voucher FSS Coordinators:
Becky Summersett 512-767-7659
Angie Towne 512-767-7655
Lisa Marie Garcia 512-767-7646
The Housing Authority's Responsibilities:
- Reviews all applicants to determine families' eligibility for the program.
- Explains the rules of the program to families and property owners/managers.
- Issues vouchers to families.
- Inspects the housing assisted units for compliance with housing quality standards.
- Approves the unit, owner, and lease.
- Makes housing assistance payments to the owner in a timely manner.
- Re-examines the family's income and composition annually and adjust the rent and process changes in rent portions when the income of the family composition changes.
- Ensures owners and families comply with the program rules.
- Provides prompt, professional service to owners and tenant families.
The Family's Responsibilities:
- Provides the housing authority with complete and accurate information pertaining to the family income and composition.
- Reports changes in income and family composition that happens throughout the year.
- Locates a suitable unit and pay the security deposit and application fee to the owner.
- Attends scheduled appointments and return documents on time.
- Maintains the property and minor repairs.
- Complies with the terms of the lease.
- Pays their portion of the rent on time to the owner.
- Complies with all family obligations under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.