Housing Choice Voucher Program Landlord Information
Help End Veteran Homelessness:
You hold the key to end veteran homelessness in our community. Partner with OneKeyATX today! Commit at least one unit to a veteran family experiencing homelessness and be part of the solution to end veteran homelessness in Austin. OneKeyATX is a city-wide initiative to find affordable homes for Austin’s homeless veterans. Learn more about how you can partner with OneKeyATX.
HACA's new Partner Portal for the Housing Choice Voucher Program is live now! Partner Portal is a secure web-based tool where property owners and managers can access information relating to properties currently under contract with the Housing Choice Voucher program. The Partner Portal is available 24/7 and property owners/managers can access Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) details, HQS inspection results, status of tenant re-examinations, various forms and program announcements. Click on the Partner Portal for more information.
- Partner Portal FAQ (PDF)
- How to List Your Property
- Available Units
- Steps to Participate in the Program
- Landlord/Owner Checklist (PDF)
Benefits of Participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program:
- You will be providing affordable housing to Austin families
- Guaranteed rent check for approximately 60 to 70 percent of the rent
- You are able to use your own lease
- Free advertising for your available properties
- Free annual inspections of your unit
- Units receive payments at market rate rents
Responsibilities of the Housing Authority and Owners:
The HCV Program depends on a cooperative relationship between the housing authority, assisted family and owner or property manager. The program is designed to maintain the regular owner and tenant relationship. Our main purpose is to subsidize families' rents; all other aspects of the lease agreement must be resolved between the landlord and the tenant. The following summarizes the responsibilities of each party.
The Housing Authority's Responsibilities:
- Reviews all applicants to determine families' eligibility for the program.
- Explains the rules of the program to families and property owners/managers.
- Issues vouchers to families.
- Inspects the housing assisted units for compliance with housing quality standards.
- Approves the unit, owner, and lease.
- Makes housing assistance payments to the owner in a timely manner.
- Re-examines the family's income and composition annually and adjust the rent and process changes in rent portions when the income of the family composition changes.
- Ensures owners and families comply with the program rules.
- Provides prompt, professional service to owners and tenant families.
The Owner's Responsibilities:
- Thoroughly screens and interviews families who apply.
- Maintains the property by making necessary repairs in a timely manner.
- Collects application fees, security deposits, and the tenant's monthly rent portion.
- Manages the property and enforces the lease.
- Complies with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract and HUD Tenancy addendum.
- Complies with all fair housing laws and not improperly discriminate against any family.
- Notifies the housing authority if a tenant vacates the unit and return the housing assistance payments received after a family vacates a unit.
- Notifies the housing authority of any owner change immediately so payment to the new landlord will not be delayed.